Saturday, April 16, 2011

How to Teach the Children (Part II)

So you made it past the "terrible two's" huh?  Personally, my kids never had terrible two's they somehow created terrible three's though...Anyway, by now you're little one is in the childhood stage which usually runs more or less from the age of 5 through 10.  Now, I'm using vague time frames here because each child is different and they tend to mature at various rates depending on how well you handled your fatherly business in part I.  If you're still raging at their lack of obedience, stop what you're doing, take a deep breath and give yourself some time to regroup. 
By now, you should not have to give too many harsh spankings because your child should know you mean business (if you've been consistent so far).  Things get a little less stressful during these years because your child will respect and love you as their daddy because you have clearly set the boundaries in the discipline department. 
Remember the word "discipline" is derived from the word "disciple" so you're actually raising little "you's".  If you've been molding your life around Christ, then you should be exhibiting Godly behavior and your child will follow your example. 
I remember some of the most wonderful times I had was when my first born was around 3 years old.  We would be at church, the music would be really kicking!  I would take my son to the front and dance around with him.  He and I would hold hands and jump around in a little circle to the music. He loved to do that and so did I.
He's now a teenager, but he hasn't forgotten his love for God because that's how I discipled him. 
So, back to those childhood years.  These years are critical to your child's growth because he or she will be developing their character during these years.  It will be up to you to mold them correctly because as they near the teenage years it will be more and more difficult to change their behavior; it will be ingrained into them.
Think of an oak tree for a moment.  When it first grows, it's easy to wrap a straight stick around the thin trunk to keep it growing straight and upright.  As it grows, the tree begins to form thicker branches and the trunk becomes nearly impossible to shift.  It has fully developed the shape of its trunk or foundation and if you try to change it, most likely it will become severely damaged or killed.
This is why those childhood years are also very important.  You will need to answer each and every question your child has.  Spend time developing your relationship with him or her.  Sit down and color with them.  Tell them stories and play games.  Remember that those things you now take for granted are brand new to them.  Those corny old jokes you knew in elementary school are probably funny to them.  Those little toys you became bored with as a teenager are GREAT for a little child so break out the jacks and the marbles.  And by all means never lie and never allow your child to lie to you.
We have a rule in our home.  Whenever I ask a question, our kids are expected to tell the truth no matter how scared they are of the consequences.  They know if they tell the truth, I may ground them, or maybe even pardon them with a warning, but if they lie all my kids know it is an AUTOMATIC spanking.  No questions asked.  This has kept my children out of so much trouble in school and home and with their friends.  Their teachers know they can expect honesty from my children so if there is ever a problem, they will approach my kids for accuracy.
Also, be sure to emphasize that love is so, so important in the life of your child.  Show them to love those that try to hurt them and pray for those that hate them.
My oldest son once came to me with a bully problem.  This one boy would always say mean things to my son and my son came to me with advice.  I told him, "Here's what you're going to do son.  I want you to take one of those fruit roll-ups from the pantry.  Put it in your backpack.  Tomorrow when you see this boy, take it out, tell him, "Here this is for you, I forgive you." and give it to him with a smile. 
I tell you my son was just as surprised as that boy.  His reaction was one of bewilderment and confusion, but he never picked on my son again.
This is because Jesus said, "love your enemies.  Pray for those who persecute you".  If you teach your children these and other lesson from Christ, they will grow strong in character and prosper in all things.

Man O God

No comments:

Post a Comment