Saturday, July 2, 2011

Watch What You Say...

As I was readying my lesson for this coming Sunday, I was reading through the book of Numbers.  I was studying how God's people the Israelite people kept grumbling and complaining all the time.  They had spent 400 years in slavery to the Egyptians and when God sent Moses to free them, all they wanted to do was go back into slavery at every turn.  Then God decided to show them the land he had promised to their forefathers so they sent twelve spies into the land (then known as Canaan).  They spent 40 days checking out the place and realized it was a land of milk and honey full of fertile land, lush fruit, and everything they could ever dream of.  They also, however, saw fortified cities, men armed to the teeth and GIANTS!  

So they went back and reported that while it was a wonderful place, they couldn't take it because of all the obstacles.  One one man - Caleb saw it for what God made it out to be.  He pressed his people to go and take it because God had promised it.  Unfortunately, the people didn't believe him, they believed the negative reports of the other 11.  In Numbers 14:28 God said, "...as ye have spoken in mine ears, so will I do to you."  Basically he was saying, whatever you say to me whether good or negative, God will do to you.  
Do you ever wonder why people who constantly complain that they are sick are always sick?  People who say they never have money never do.  People who are bad at math really are?  I learned a few years back that the words we say about our circumstances will come true.  If you really want to make a positive change in your own life then start speaking it out so God can make the changes.  
It won't happen over night so get that out of your head, but as you begin to say things like, "I AM good at math" or "I am a good parent" or "I have a good job" these things will eventually turn around for you.  If you continue to speak those things eventually you will believe them and God will bring it to pass.  
Then once you have allowed God to make those positive changes in your life, begin to speak them into the lives of others and teach them to do the same.  
Don't make the same mistake those people did.  When things go wrong, don't say, "See it doesn't work, let me just go back to being miserable (a slave again)."  Keep believing in the promises God has for you.  For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future - Jeremiah 29:11

Man O God

No comments:

Post a Comment