Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pushing Forward

I have to admit I had a bit of a dry spell with my writing. I guess I was just waiting for some kind of inspiration to kick my in the butt and get me going.
Ever feel like that? Ever feel like you're just running on autopilot? Like your job, family, home, car, church, whatever are just going on mindlessly? At first I used to feel guilty about doing that. I used to think that if my heart wasn't in it, I shouldn't be doing it at all. In some cases that may be true, but as adults we quickly learn that some things are obligations and must be done regardless of how we feel about them.
It may seem mean spirited to think that playing with your kids or taking your spouse out for dinner are meaningless if your heart isn't in it, but they don't know that. There will be times in your life when you just have to keep on keeping on and wait upon God to renew your joy in those things again. I don't care how much you hate your job, your school, your spouse or whatever. If you keep pushing forward...and I don't mean grudgingly...I mean with some kind of decency, praying about it all the way, God will bring about a spark. That spark may fizzle on and off, but you keep pushing yourself and before you know it that spark will grow into a full blown forest fire!
The famous British prime minister Winston Churchill once gave a legendary speech that said," We shall never surrender!" That speech gave the people of Britain hope to fight the most relentless military machine of their time. Outnumbered and outgunned, they fought and fought until finally they overcame. I'm not saying it was a good time, I'm just saying it was worth it.



Now assess those things in your life and never surrender. It will be worth it. Like Paul said, "I have fought the good fight".

Man O God

No comments:

Post a Comment