Saturday, July 2, 2011

Assuredly So

Today I was reflecting on a little talk I had with one of my kids that is quickly approaching teenagerism (I know its not a word, so what?!).  We had a talk about being selfish and stubborn.  I seem to be pretty good at recognizing it in others, yet I don't seem to find it in myself.  It took a divine mirror to show me that I am just as selfish and stubborn as the next person (maybe even worse).  At the end of our talk I explained that I am not perfect and hoped that would solve my issue with a "band-aid".  We talked about the uncertainty of things around us and people around us.  Then this morning I thought about several things.  It seems that things you can prove and things you are sure of are not the same.  I thought to myself, "I can prove the sun shines, but I'm not sure it will continue to burn tomorrow.  I can prove that I went to school, but I'm not sure I will remember that knowledge.  I can prove that where I work, but I'm not sure I will have a job tomorrow.  I can prove that I have a family, a home, a car, money, friends, etc., but I cannot be sure that I will continue to have any of those things when (or if) the sun comes up tomorrow."  Then I remembered there is one thing I cannot prove and yet, this I CAN be sure of.  I cannot prove that there is a loving, caring, unselfish, all-seeing, all-knowing God who loves me unconditionally, but I am sure beyond the shadow of a doubt that He is there, watching over me, my family, my home, my car, my money, my job, and yes, the sun.  I cannot prove to anyone that He is there, but I can rest peacefully at night without a worry in the world, because I know nothing can ever happen that He has not allowed to happen.  He has said, "All things work together for those who love God who are called according to His purpose."  So I can rest assured that He loves me and that He will always bless me in all things. 

Funny how the one thing we cannot prove is the only thing we can be 100% sure of.  :-)  Have a blessed day.

Man of God

No comments:

Post a Comment