Wednesday, March 30, 2011

More than "Your Baby Momma"

Here's one that Jerry Springer and Oprah Winfrey may strongly disagree with me on.  I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say, "I put my kids before that so-and-so any day of the week!"  Now grant it that if there are some situations involving abuse and/or neglect always protect the child from becoming a victim.  Most cases, however, don't involve neglect or abuse but parents of children continually use children as an excuse to hate on each other.  STOP IT!
There is a reason God created Adam and Eve before Cain and Abel.  Part of the reason was that God wanted to firmly establish the marriage as the strongest bond and covenant two people can and should ever have.  The bond between a man and his wife should take precedence over any and all other relationships.  If you're a mamma's boy or a daddy's girl, you need to work on diminishing that relationship while fostering your relationship with your spouse.
BTW, if you're still shacking up, stop dilly-dallying, buy the ring, pop the question, and get on living!  My wife and I haven't always been happily married, but we worked through it and sought God's help and guidance.  Although we eloped over 18 years ago without any witnesses, today we boast on a Godly marriage that is as close to perfect as earthly possible (and gaining steam every day - baby!)
We have five children but each one of them is aware that my wife and I stand together as one.  We will not contradict each other in front of the children and they know that we mean business.  I show my wife as much affection as I can so that they know we love each other. 
The bottom line is this:  If your marriage is firm, your family will be firm as well.  I like to think of God as the concrete foundation, my marriage as the frame, and the children as the furnishing.  Remember, after 18 or so years, they will (or should) fly off to start families of their own, but you and your spouse will still be married so take care of him or her.

No comments:

Post a Comment