Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Be Careful What You Ask For...

Last night I spoke in our Bible study group. We had planned to watch a video from John Bevere, but we had already seen it. I wasn't prepared to teach anything, so I just let the Holy Spirit lead me. I happened to open my Bible to the book of Jonah and we proceeded to read the whole book since it was only 4 chapters.
I found it refreshing that each chapter taught a different lesson. The most intriguing lesson was in chapter 3.
It seems that Jonah was warning people that God would destroy their city in 40 days because of their disregard for God and his commandments. To Jonah's surprise and dismay they changed their course, humbled themselves, fasted, and turned from their evil. Everyone from their king down to the lowliest person became aware that God was watching and was not pleased with them.
God had compassion and renounced his judgement. Apparently the only one not happy was Jonah!
Sometimes, we pray and ask for things and when God brings it about we aren't very happy with the outcome. It's almost like we ask only because we like the idea of having something. If I'm confusing you, I'll give you an example.
I'm mature enough to understand that I love beautiful cars...only when someone ELSE owns them. I love to admire Corvettes, Porsche's, BMW's, and all kinds of high performance vehicles. I know, however, that I don't want to own one because of the high cost of maintaining such a luxurious vehicle. I don't even like washing my little old red truck!
I know a woman who prayed, and cried, and prayed, and cried that the Lord would bless her with a Godly husband. When God answered her prayer, she suddenly changed her mind and was frightened at the thought of marriage even though this man loved her with all his heart and had very good values.
Sometimes we pray, Lord bless my family, let my children have good grades, let them excel at sports, or let them have good friends. Then when God answers us, we don't want to show up to their sports events, science fairs, open house at school, and we don't want their friends coming over to our house. God answers your prayer and then suddenly you realize you don't really want that after all?
We need to be careful what we pray for. God, in his infinite wisdom, sometimes says "No", sometimes says, "wait", and then there are times when he says, "YES!" For those occasions, be ready to receive His blessing with open arms. Show Him your gratitude for the wonders of his love toward your life and watch him continue to bless you with other desires of your heart if you are obedient and a good steward with all He has given you thus far.
Learn to show interest in the things your children excel at and be patient when they are slow to learn. Above all, love them through their failures and cherish their triumphant victories.



"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you" - Matthew 6:33


Man O God

2 comments:

  1. "Porsche's, BMW's, and all kinds of high performance vehicles. I know, however, that I don't want to own one because of the high cost of maintaining such a luxurious vehicle.'

    What a load of compost. AS IF... if you pray for a Porsche, you would get it!! The excuses are so many why God would not grant this prayer. Christianity is synonymous with excuses.


    BTW, is your worry that you would not have money to maintain the expensive car? And suddenly your prayers have dried up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worry isn't part of my vocabulary. I know that God will provide for all my needs regardless of how I feel. If I felt that I needed to defend my comments, I would, but since I see God's work in my life each and every day, there is no need. BTW, my father owns a corvette. I drove it around for a year and finally realized that I was not capable of taking care of such an expensive car...I never washed it. LOL.

      Delete